Wednesday, October 9, 2013

New TV show!

I absolutely love the fall season. Crisp wind, sweater weather and new fall shows!

During the school year, I always looked forward to the brand new television shows and Halloween specials (come the last week of October, you'll see my inner child come out). I'm so happy the TV stations have picked up great shows this time around.

My summary ahead of the Pilot episode for The Tomorrow People may contain some spoilers, but I like to keep it at a minimum.

The Tomorrow People 1.01 Pilot
I saw all sorts of print advertisements and posts on twitter and thought I'd tune in.

I think this show can be compared to X-Men with having genetic mutations. I think this show will work well since the mutations are simple and easy to keep track of. The protagonist Stephen Jameson has the classic Peter Parker status in school being bottom of the social food chain. He also goes home and has issues with being raised by a single parent struggling financially and a younger brother with the average life.

Through the episode you learn he is born naturally with genetic mutated 'powers', just like with X-Men characters, and there are others in the rest of the world just like him. A group of them stick together, calling themselves the Tomorrow People, and live underground in hiding from the enemy called Ultra.

We learn everybody has ulterior motives and promise their intentions for Stephen are for the better. Both sides clearly have secrets and aren't telling the whole story. He makes his decision by the end of the episode and he reassures he knows what he's doing. I believe it, otherwise there would be no point in talking about this show.

I'm liking the change in genre of this TV show particularly because it's not one with supernatural creatures. I'm not bashing the current shows that do have them (I watch Being Human and True Blood myself), but why watch another vampire based show? It's like watching the millions of doctor drama shows on air.

On another note, I had no idea Aaron Yoo was in this show! Totally didn't recognize him with all the facial hair haha! Stephen's mom was also in Covert Affairs and the leader of Ultra is in pretty much everything else I watched in the past (LOST, Dexter, Supernatural and Being Human).

As you can tell, I watch a lot of TV shows =P

No comments: