Saturday, April 25, 2015

OneRepublic's Native Canada Tour (with Lights) at the Air Canada Centre

How do you compare a OneRepublic concert to another? You can't. Quite possibly compare it to every other concert in existence!

I know it's very cliche to say, but OneRepublic has always been a first to create such a genre of this kind. I had this discussion with my friend last night at the concert how OneRepublic is the first big band to incorporate classical strings (the cello and violin) into a pop sound. It's similar to how Coldplay was one of the first to include piano into a rock sound (after the Beatles of course).

A band or artist needs to know how to recreate their performance if they want to keep their fans going. Their setlist was the same since it's the same album haha, but the changes they incorporated were insane! That's what I love about going to every single OneRepublic show played in Toronto! They're always reinventing and inspiring every time.

I saw them last June, but so much has changed from visual effects to the new sound added to their performances. Once again, I cannot explain how exciting they are live. You just have to go.

I'm embarrassed to say I'm unfamiliar with Lights' music other than what's on the radio now and one song from my early university days. She did have an appropriate opening set for OneRepublic. I was also surprised the band came on stage 8:43pm (usually it would be on a half or quarter of the clock) but I'm not complaining since they put on a great show! An all around great evening, I even have a bruise on my quad to prove it! The two seats on my left wound up vacant since those folks never showed. I had floor seats, and throughout the dancing, the row behind pushed forward excitedly at one point during the later half of the concert. The fold over chair caught me on an angle and fell on my leg. On my way out of the ACC into Union, we kept singing, "If I *bruise* myself tonight, it'll be at a OneRepublic concert but by your side!" =)

setlist:
Don't Look Down
Light It Up
Secrets
All the Right Moves
What You Wanted
Stop and Stare
Something I Need
Apologize
Stay With Me (Sam Smith cover)
Budapest (George Ezra cover)
Preacher
Good Life
Counting Stars
Can't Stop
Au Revoir
Feel Again
I Lived

encore:

Love Runs Out
What a Wonderful World (Louis Armstrong cover)
If I Lose Myself

No comments: