Wednesday, November 14, 2007

"Sex and the City"; Guelph Humber Version

I am sitting in the middle of Guelph Humber on the second floor outside of William’s Coffee Pub with a few of the most amazing women. I have had the pleasure to make friends with these three women throughout the duration of this course, and we have become close thanks to our activist project, Project Burma. Erin, Katrina and Laura are my new “Sex and the City” soul mates.

We just attended Mark Lipton’s lecture, where we discussed different technologies invented and even watched the first few minutes of the Zeitgeist movie. I watched it this past summer when my friend linked me to it, so it wasn’t as if it was something unfamiliar to me. I’m surprised that a lot of the people I sat with, including the ladies I am sitting with now have never heard of it.

I see Erin as the one with the thickest skin out of all of us, as she hasn’t seen the Zeitgeist movie before. Erin has a very open mind and is always willing to hear other people’s idea, which is what I like the most about her. One day, I was trying to find a seat in Mass Communications when she and I were only acquainted with each other. I didn’t want to look like an idiot and sit all by myself for 20 minutes before class, so I tried to find a spot where I could throw my backpack on the side to make it look like I was with somebody. She looked up and saw me wandering around the rows like the fat kid who doesn’t get picked for dodge ball. She was kind enough to push her jacket off to the side and welcome me to the seat beside her.

Katrina is a very gentle person, but when she saw the Zeitgeist movie, she decided to view some of it on her laptop afterwards. I must say, she was offended because she is Catholic and did not like some of the ideas portrayed in the movie. I told her it was just a movie, and she tried to put it at the back of her mind. I told her that if she was going into public relations like me, she shouldn’t be bothered and accept that there will be ideas she will not like but have to face, it is all part of the industry. She told me that I’m the ‘advice girl’ and felt better within seconds.

Laura has got to be the one I consider to be the one I bonded with the most at Guelph Humber. She and I coincidentally live in Mississauga, so we now go home together and talk about almost everything. When the Zeitgeist movie was up on the projection screen, her mood did not change at all. That’s funniest thing about Laura, she keeps the same face and until you actually talk to her, you know what kind of mood she is in. She’s not shy; she is just quiet and knows the right time to speak. To me, she is my ‘advice girl’ where I can always go to if I need her.

What have I learned from these three girls? I learned that we all agree we work the hardest in our Mass Communications class. I learned that we probably put the most effort into the same things. I learned we all have seen every episode of “Sex and the City” (except for Laura). I also learned I made new friends I can rely on. I always thought that university would be about studying and being a social hermit, but now I know I can relate to people experiencing the same situations as me; I am grateful =)

No comments: