Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Overwhelmed =/

I hope it is natural to feel this way, because I feel that assignments are getting thrown at me left, right, and center. My older sister tells me it is normal and the feeling will eventually pass...once winter break is here *raises eyebrow*.

I just handed in my essay, and I feel proud of myself. Who knew I could write so much on something I actually care about. I think I speak for the 120+ students in this class when I say high school was a joke. I felt like a clone; always told what to do and constantly keeping at a pace where they would poke at random flaws. I felt 'babied' in high school, but as I said earlier this year, I finally feel a sense of independence for once. I was always told what to write about, how I was able to approach it, and then explain. Mark Lipton was right when he said, "You are all so used to being conditioned that the freedom I give you will certainly scare you." Once again, he was right.

I hate that I was ‘sheltered’ in high school. I never had a choice, so when I did this essay it felt amazing. It was as if I broke curfew with my parents for the first time. Sure I chose to write about The Truman Show, but I actually feel I broke down the main pieces of it (and even the little things people don’t catch at first glimpse).

This week is going to fly by, but I want to catch every moment of it. I’m glad my classmates and I got up in front of the class today and presented our activist project on Burma. What makes me even more happy is that we are recognized for reaching a larger audience outside of Guelph Humber. It’s located on Reilly’s on Dundas and Yonge St. The location was important, and as Erin and I were trying to find an available venue, we thought this would be the best choice (who wouldn’t want to come to Toronto for a independent concert?) I hope a lot of people can make it. The current amount of audience members we are expecting so far stands at 74 (hooray for facebook events!)

Earlier this week, I had to reassure my essay was good enough as well as finish the final touches to this Friday’s Activist Project with my group members.

Major essay + Burma Activist Project = one hell of a week; feel the overwhelming atmosphere much? Of course I do.

No comments: