Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Podcasting Value Village =)

One trip to Value Village earlier today turned out to be a lot more fun than I expected. This has been my second time at going into a Value Village, and my group member Erin and I decided to view all of the things we found interesting.

Our main focus was set upon the shoes and accessories, since that had to be one of the largest selections to choose from. Erin and I decided to have some fun with our podcast and took turns trying on some extravagant items. It was a lot of fun but we showed how creative a person can be with the items they can find at their local thrift shop. Some of the items we tried on were super retro, but it made us feel good about ourselves that we were having fun in such a simple location. Another perk about shopping at a Value Village is those low on money can find decent clothing to wear for all seasons at a fraction of the price.

My best friend Nicole shops at the local Value Village near her home in Oakville all the time, and unlike me she is able to find the neatest pieces of jewellery and shoes to make it into a combination of her own. My first time in a Value Village was with her this past summer when we decided to do some ‘thrift shopping’. Even though it was the middle of July, I was searching for a comfortable sweater to become a part of my ‘bumming out at home’ outfit. I was in need of a new sweater I could wear at home while I did housework, cooking and even some homemade baking (I’m a rubbish cook, but at least I’m not afraid to try!)

As luck may have it, I was able to find a medium sized white zip-up I can proudly say I wear around the house and for my early morning jogs on a casual basis. I ran out of money since this school semester began, and I am certainly glad of my summer purchase that saved me about $30 at a shopping mall.

I told Erin of my first trip to Value Village, and she and I decided to talk about our own personal expieriences shopping for our podcast. As university students, we know we are under a budget and cannot afford neat accessories and clothes (all our money mainly goes to gas, bus tickets, and food). Erin and I thought our interesting finds around the store made us feel happier since we were able to purchase used goods at an affordable price. As a result, we accomplished to look through used goods and make them useful for us.

A person’s trash definitely can be another person’s treasure at Value Village =).

No comments: