Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Choices and Voices

My perspective on voting has changed after an hour and a half discussion on rights. It began with how voting for our provincial election in the upcoming week has a massive impact, seeing that a small percentage [22%] of Ontario citizens participate. According to The Daily on Statistics Canada, “Four in ten high school graduates delay post-secondary studies by at least one year. By age 20, two in ten high school graduates have still not enrolled in a post-secondary program”. This was published in July 2003, so the number of students postponing enrolment has surely increased in the past four years. I find this statistic to be interesting as I was unaware of the amount of Ontarians who partake in elections. This matches with the analogy made in class that those who are 18 years old can vote; young adults with post secondary education are eligible to take part in our provincial election. The fact that very few individuals contribute to our elections and chose not to continue their election says a lot about their personal beliefs.

Mark Lipton spoke about the importance of voting as well as the significance of education. In every home, young adults have a certain perspective on education. We discussed how most families value education where others imagine education is not a necessity. As Mark Lipton repeated in class, for me “education was a responsibility”. It was set for me to go to school and get a good education, for my parents were not as fortunate to have as many opportunities. I appreciate the chances given to me because of my knowledge on how my worked hard to give me a better life. Most importantly my parents gave me choices, similar to how I have the choice to vote in next week’s provincial election. My choices are influenced from the environment I have been raised in as well as the values I grew up on. Education has taken a huge role in how I perceive the world, so when I voice my opinion, I know I can be grateful for speaking up for myself.


"Paths to Post-Secondary Education Among 20-Year-Olds." Statistics Canada (2003). 3 Oct. 2007 http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/030704/d030704a.htm.

No comments: