Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Imperfections in Perceptions

So my writing sucks. I just got my assignment back and I am less than pleased. Thankfully, Mark Lipton gave us an opportunity to hand in a paper on why we feel we deserve a better mark.

My creativity grade is fine; my writing grade hurt my feelings. Seriously, I wanted to run out of class and cry today. 2.5?! SERIOUSLY?! Well I can’t do anything about it now except look over my paper tonight and start on my new one. Hopefully it will be an improvement and put me in the category of getting a better mark.

The student advisors came in to speak with us, and until today I was only previously familiar with the program advisor, Jael Richardson. The other advisors talked about our writing skills and how at the writing center, students learn how to further improve their writing on their own. Another step at independence, after receiving my paper back, I feel that maybe I should have taken the time to do just that.

Today, we discussed how humans are imperfect, infallible creatures. As humans we are unrealistic and always strive for perfection. I admit that I aim for the best and absolute perfection, but who doesn’t? We are human and this is how we react at a time where we feel we need to prove ourselves to be superior.

Number 3 on Postman’s 10 Theories states “We are not born perceiving. We learn to perceive and not to perceive.” I agree with this statement as our environment shapes how we think. We are told how to think and how to feel about the actions of our everyday lives. I believe that the friends we make, the material we read, the sitcoms we watch on TV, and the videogames we play make up the kind of perception we have. This is how we learn how to perceive certain messages and turn away others.

I also think our selective perception gives us selective hearing. It is sad that we only listen to what we want to hear such as entertainment gossip, and what we don’t want to listen to, such as the amount of garbage we are dumping into our Ontario waters.

No comments: