Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Heroes Reborn 1.01 Awakening, 1.02 Odessa

I'm so happy the Toronto International Film Festival added primetime television as a category to the festival this year! I've been looking forward to Heroes Reborn ever since I found out Tim Kring was doing a reboot of his original series. I've been a fan of the Heroes series since first season, which was back when I was in my final year of high school. Also, knowing the producers aged a few of the original characters for this reboot allows us to easily follow the storyline.

My sister and I went to the world premiere at the Elgin & Winter Garden Theatre last night, which was a packed house. I always enjoy the Winter Garden theatre mainly for its ethereal interior =) Now on to my review!

Heroes Reborn 1.01 Awakening, 1.02 Odessa
We get introduced to a lot of new characters, both taking sides as heroes and villains. We quickly see not much has changed in the world from the original series except for the time passed and those with special abilities are in hiding. Since "coming out" to the world they are super human, everybody feared change.

I like this idea so much since it is applicable today. People fear what they don't understand, so naturally this will take the series into another Us VS Them situation (in addition to the heroes and villains).  It's a classic theme, one you can't go wrong with. Tim Kring I have so much faith in you!

Kicking off with this setting, we see a lot of people aren't pleased Evos (the label of choice for these humans) exist at all. They feel threatened and even made it illegal for them to roam free to live in peace. I have no idea how they'll be able to organize against this, but I have a feeling Noah 'HRG' Bennett will help out.

We meet a priest and a select few, in Los Angeles, who have an underground organization helping the Evos escape. Depending on how successful we see their outcome, it may put a huge target on their lives.

We also meet a girl named Miko in Japan who may be the most powerful newcomer. We don't know much about her history, only that she's able to digitally move into a popular video game with her dad's katana sword. I already have a theory on her, but it may be wishful thinking of how I've admired this show for 10 years.

Finally, easily one of my favourite characters is Tommy, played by Robbie Kay (Once Upon a Time). He's the protagonist you grow to sympathize and relate to in the times of living on the run. He's trying to adapt as best as he can without letting his ability to give him away. Since it gets out of control, that's where he leaves a trail of bread crumbs behind.

In the final moments of the premiere, we meet our beloved Molly Walker, played by Francesca Eastwood. She symbolizes all the time that's passed and how bad things have gotten. I was particularly excited to see Peter Mooney (Rookie Blue) make an appearance as one of the bad guys. I have a feeling there's a price for Molly's ability, so this may mean there's an organization of the rogue Evos as well? If that's true, they're certainly ahead of the game.

There's so much I want to say without spoiling the first two episodes, but I am liking the direction Tim Kring has taken this show.

No comments: