Friday, May 12, 2017

Riverdale 1.13 Chapter Thirteen: The Sweet Hereafter

Riverdale 1.13 Chapter Thirteen: The Sweet Hereafter
I have a ridiculous theory about the ending scene, but I am way too excited! I'm going to start with Cheryl's endless problems before moving forward into all the thoughts I have going on.

It was true when I mentioned the possibility of Cheryl's dad running an illegal drug operation (I don't know why you'd traffic it to Montreal of all places?). It looks like the true nature of the maple syrup business came to surface once the story uncovered the camera footage of Jason's death. I feel there was a lot of anger going on within the family, but it all makes sense how the dad complimented Cheryl as a true Blossom at heart, unlike Jason. She was the one who could handle the business through all of this, even when things get rocky because of what the family business entails.

Now she's all miserable and broken because her brother's death was at her father's hand. The mom isn't showing any signs of mercy or remorse. I still think there was more that she knew (probably just about the business front) but I think the initial shock of Jason's death was something she remained in the dark about.

Cheryl's suicide attempt was less than ideal. Once Archie did all the work, the other three watched aside (when you all have cellphones, call for help). I couldn't understand the other three standing as spectators.

I saw the secret Cooper older brother coming along! I know in the comics, Betty Cooper is supposed to have a brother anyway. I feel like adding him in as a long lost brother would be appropriate. I don't have any theories of where he is or if we've already met him. I just think it's fun to add in a new character this way.

I wonder if Betty will stand with Jughead if he accepts "his place" with the South Side Serpents. Betty looked like she didn't approve if he goes, but I think he's actually smarter than he looks. He was able to handle himself in the public school. I feel he's also able to do the same with the Serpents. Arguably, he could be the next leader if there was an actual hierarchy to these situations.

I see Veronica standing by Archie in all of this. She's had her rebellion against her father (and from time to time her mother) so it's only fitting she'd stick with Archie while all parents sort their business problems out. Above all, she'd support Archie with what I'm about to mention below on the final scene.

I don't know what Fred Andrews wanted to say to Archie at Pop's Diner so early in the morning, but an early morning robbery was excessive. There's NO money in an early morning till (even for a 24 hour diner), especially if there aren't any customers around. There were no witnesses except for Pop and the waitress in the corner. I don't think I saw money getting taken from the register either. There was also no reason to shoot once you got the money, just a simple scare tactic. It appears the shooting was intended all along.

Part of me feels Hiram Lodge sent some low-life hoodlum to kill Mr. Andrews so he can get the land. Too easy of a theory? I don't see a point in shooting the high school quarterback. A hired thug early in the morning isn't the style of a South Side Serpent either. F.P. left off on great terms with Fred, so none of his guys would need a reason to do something like that if they're looking out for Jughead's well being at the moment.

Excellent finale, looking forward to the new season!

No comments: