Friday, February 3, 2017

Riverdale 1.02 Chapter Two: A Touch of Evil

Riverdale 1.02 Chapter Two: A Touch of Evil
I'd like to mention Reggie Mantle is a pig. I can't stand homophobia of any sort or the fact there's aggression channeled by insecurity when there are topics people don't understand. Being a star jock does not give anyone the right to be a top-notch jerk to anyone. I'm disappointed Reggie Mantle is the typical small-minded role, but I hope this portrays the divide the good characters that exist. Midge is mentioned to exist in Riverdale, but it doesn't look like she'll have a credited scene from the way Moose is moving forward.

I'm ecstatic for more Jughead screen time. I have to admit I got nostalgic when I saw his suspenders, giant headphones and all black sneakers. This was my outfit on civvies day in high school and any other day outside of it! Anyway, back to the part he got to play in this episode. So Jughead has a pre-existing friendship with Archie after all; Miss Grundy got in the way of them. I'm glad Jughead gets to act as his conscious and get Archie grounded into his old ways. I like Jughead's narration role in all of this, but now he gets to be present in the story. He's clearly made an impact on Archie and can get him to do the right thing.

On the female spectrum of the school, we've visited Cheryl VS Betty & Veronica; Betty & Cheryl VS Veronica; Betty VS Cheryl; and Betty, Veronica & Cheryl. If your head hasn't spun around yet, I commend you. There's been a lot of girl fighting here, but I'm happy to see a much softer Veronica. Her character gets labelled as poor, little rich girl but she gets to be a different person in this school. Betty's friendship really gives her strength so I think that's where they'll thrive as a girl power team.

As for how the episode ended, clues were obvious Cheryl knew the nature of Jason's death. I don't want this to be the lingering backstory throughout the show (similar to Alison DiLaurentis in Pretty Little Liars).  It will get to be a tiring plot that if it doesn't get resolved by the end of this season, fans will lose interest. Fingers crossed that won't be the case.

No comments: